Grodzka runs from the south-east corner of the Main Square straight towards Wawel Hill, and is one of the few Old Town streets whose line predates the charter of 1257. It led to the stronghold on the hill long before the grid of streets was laid out.
St Andrew’s Church stands on Grodzka, a Romanesque building from the late eleventh century and the only church in Kraków to withstand the Mongol raid of 1241. Opposite rises the Baroque church of Saints Peter and Paul, with figures of the twelve apostles along the railing. A little further on is the Franciscan church, holding Stanisław Wyspiański’s stained glass, including the celebrated window known as God the Father.
The street ends at Kanonicza, the oldest and best preserved street of the medieval city.